At www.cedral.com we have seen hundreds of homes, and we always suggest to sellers to stage their homes. Let us give you some tips and examples how to do this.
8 steps for DIY home staging
Easily transform any residential listing into a buyer’s dream home
1. Walk through the home as if you were viewing it for the very first time. If something needs to be fixed? Fix it please! Can you easily get from room to room? Is there an inviting flow throughout the space? If not, rearrange furniture so it is easier to tour. This may require placing large or redundant pieces in storage. I can help you with tips of course!
2. Clear the counters. This is one of the hardest steps for most sellers, but it can also make the biggest difference. Buyers are looking for a clean slate and lots of space, so it’s important to keep surfaces clear.
Just remember how you live in a home and how you sell a home are two very different things.
3. Make it sparkle. You can’t underestimate the value of a good, deep clean. Gleaming windows and shining stainless translate to “move-in ready” for potential buyers.
4. Don’t forget the closets. Buyers are nosy and will peek inside closets. After all, storage space is one of a home’s most valued features. Make sure your sellers aren’t cramming their cupboards full. Organize your closets and get a storage unit to hold overflow, if needed. As an added benefit, it will make the move easier when your home sells.
5. Limit family photos and "stuff". Home staging creates an environment that welcomes potential buyers to mentally move in. Tons of photos of someone else’s family can impede on that vision. Remove all but a few family photos. Whenever possible, be sure to completely clear the fridge door, too.
6. De-scent and re-scent. I love animals. You love animals. But buyers don’t always love animals. So if your home smells like pets (or smoke), air it out then use this handy trick to clear stale scents. Place two capfuls of vanilla extract in a coffee cup, then place it in the oven at 300 degrees for one hour. Within twenty minutes the whole place will smell heavenly or even better bake a cake and it feels like HOME right away!
7. Let there be light. Throw back the curtains! Disobey your father and leave the lights on in every room. Bring in more lamps, if you can. Light sells houses. No one wants to buy a dark, dingy cave. Well, almost no one… Shrek might, but he’s probably not your average buyer.
8. There’s power in flowers. Don’t forget the finishing touches: a potted plant by the front door, a cheery arrangement highlighting a window with a view, even a single flower in a bud vase can brighten up a bathroom vanity. Live plants are a breath of fresh air in any home (just please skip their silk and plastic counterparts).
Give us a call !!!